U.S. CITIZENSHIP This Naturalization Certificate could have your name and photo on it! Contact our office to file for your U.S. citizenship.



A person who has been a lawful permanent resident ("LPR") for five years may apply for his or her U.S. citizenship through naturalization.  LPRs who are married to and living with their U.S. citizen spouses may apply for naturalization after only three years of resident status.  The process for naturalization requires filing an N-400 application and attending an interview with USCIS.  At the naturalization interview, the applicant is tested on his or her knowledge of U.S. history, government, and civics as well as his ability to read and write in the English language.   The applicant must also show that he or she has been a person of good moral character for the past five years and that he/she has been physically present in the U.S. for at least half of the past five years and has been continuously residing in the United States.  Mrs. Westerman-Keuning has assisted countless individuals in becoming U.S. citizens.


There are certain issues which may render a resident ineligible for his or her U.S. citizenship.  A naturalization application should contact an immigration attorney if any of the following apply:

  • If the applicant has ever been arrested even for misdemeanor crimes such as DUI or possession of marijuana.
  • If the applicant is paying child support for a U.S. citizen child.
  • If the applicant has spent a considerable amount of time outside the U.S. since becoming a resident or has taken a single trip of more than 180 days outside the U.S. as a resident without a re-entry permit.
  • If a male applicant failed to register for the Selective Service when required to.
  • If an applicant owes taxes to the IRS.

There are some important exceptions to the English language requirement of the interview process. An individual may be exempt from the English exam and may take the civics and history test and be interviewed in their native language (with the assistance of an interpreter) if he/she has been a permanent resident for at least 15 years and he/she is 55 years old or older or if the applicant has been a permanent resident for 20 years and he/she is 50 years old or older, 

Another important exception to the normal testing requirements is for applicants who suffer from a serious physical or developmental disability or mental impairment that prevents him or her from demonstrating the otherwise required knowledge of English language and U.S. history and civics.  An individual can apply to waive these normal requirements for naturalization by filing an N-648 Medical Waiver.   This waiver is reserved for applicants with serious mental or physical ailments which limit their ability to learn new information such as Alzheimer's disease, Dementia, Autism, and related conditions. Our office can help you determine if you may be eligible for an N-648 waiver. 

Contact Us


172 N. Main Street, Suite 1

Clayton, GA 30525


Office:  786.442.3177 (Spanish) 

Text:      786.408.4727

Fax:      786.228.4946



Or use our contact form.

Sasha Nicole Westerman-KeuningClients’ ChoiceAward 2019

Click Above To Change

Website Language

Office Hours

We can be reached during the following hours:



9:30AM - 5:30PM


Click Here to Like Our Facebook Page! Friend Me at "Sasha ImmigrationLawyer"
Print | Sitemap